The Oak Orchard Neighborhood Association was formed in 2009 under the auspices of the Orleans County Chamber of Commerce. Membership is open to anyone who has a vested interest in the Oak Orchard region, reside either part time or full time, own property or a business in the Oak Orchard Region. This region’s hub is Point Breeze but extends to neighbors along Lake Ontario and its tributaries such as the Oak Orchard River, Marsh Creek and Johnson’s Creek.
A group of volunteer officers oversee the operations of OONA which is governed by a set of by-laws. Members pay an annual fee and can join as an individual, family or sponsor. Several sub-committees have formed to support the mission of the association.
OONA hosts events such as:
- The OONA Summer Concert Series each summer at the Orleans County Marine Park
- Annual Plant Exchange
- Adopt a Highway along Route 98 in Point Breeze
- Annual Summer Solstice Party in June
- Road Rallies
- Christmas Parties
- And more!
OONA advocates for a healthier environment and preserving our assets, such as:
- Dredging the Oak Orchard River
- Maintaining the Lake Ontario State Parkway
- Rallying to prevent erosion issues by challenging the IJC
- Rallying against intrusive wind-generated power turbines that would have a negative impact on the environment and waterfront properties
OONA supports many non-profit agencies. Proceeds from the concert series are evaluated each year and given to deserving charities such as the Carlton Fire Dept., the Martin-Linsen Hospice Facility, PAWS animal shelter and more.